- Bring light, fast drying clothes and swimwear
- Use a hat or a sombrero to avoid sunstrokes
- Travel with a small and light luggage
- Use comfortable shoes and water resistant
- First aid kit
- Water resistant jacket
- It´s recommendable to use sunblock cream all day
- It´s very important to constantly drink enough water, as the humidity is very high. Preferably bring your own drinking bottle.
- There is not toilette service in Cabo de la Vela, only in the Rancherias or cabins.
- The yellow fever vaccination is not obligatory.
- Follow the instructions of the functionaries of the natural parks, guides and people that brings you the tourism services. Respect the rules of historical and religious places.
- Take your garbage with you, don´t throw it in the beaches. Carry it in garbage bags until you deposit in an adequate place for its treatment in Riohacha or next cities.
- Save Water! Take short showers. Use the minimum of water for your personal use, is a scare resource for the community. Don´t waste it.
- Buy crafts and souvenirs, pay a fair price in that way you can help to support local artist and vulnerable communities.
- Take cash in low denomination, there is only cash machines of different banks in Riohacha.
- La Guajira is a sacred territory for the indigenous people Wayuu and others. Respect and enjoy their traditions.
- The Wayuu System is a special social order and the main character is the “palabrero”. Was declared world intangible heritage by UNESCO.
- El Santuario de Flora y Fauna Los Flamencos and the National Natural Park Macuira are protected areas by the state and you should respect its rules.
- The natural symbol of la Guajira is the bird Cardenal Guajiro, a bird which stands for life, light, health and wisdom. Help us protect these birds.